Thursday, September 9, 2010

Eid Mubarak


Eid Mubarak, or may you have a blessed Eid holiday. Friday, 10 Sep, is Eid al Fitr, the Festival of Fast-Breaking. No, not basketball related, but the end of Ramadan. Here in UAE, for this year the government has mandated a five day holiday for all UAE federal workers -- from Wednesday until this coming Sunday. As far as the private sector, since Eid falls on a Friday, which is a normal day off anyway, most will only have Saturday off additionally. Most private sector workers will back to work on Sunday.

As for me, I will be working throughout, even on Friday. I have been going to work the previous two Fridays even though no construction contractors work that day, and I will be at work this Friday. Lately I have been using Fridays to catch up on my work. A lot of my time is taken overseeing several construction projects, meeting with customers and contractors, providing reports to the customers, and coordination with US Air Force and Emirati military for all the ongoing projects during the normal Saturday through Thursday workweek.

I am not really complaining. My current position is a lot more laid back than my previous position. Summer time has been fairly slow as far the amount of work being done. The UAE government had directed this year that from 15 June thru 15 September, a worker must take a break from 1230 until 3PM if his work takes place outside. In the past, the summer work hours were for shorter duration, not the 3 months mandated this year. In addition, during the Ramadan period, from 10 Aug thru 10 Sep, by decree the UAE government only 6 hours maximum of work is allowed per day. So pretty much, my progress on my projects slowed considerably during the summer months. It is not just my projects; everything here pretty much slows down during the summer, and if Ramadan happens to fall within that period, it slows down even more.

The summer and Ramadan work hours, unfortunately, do not apply to the Americans working in the base.

2 comments:

  1. your gears are always spinning uncle alban. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron, I am restless when I am at rest. I usually thrive and do well in a multi-tasking environment. But I really need to slow down and relax. Early in my working years, I thought the ideal vacation would be to go alone to a secluded cabin in the middle of nowhere for an extended period of time and just bring a set of books that I have always wanted to read - just pretty much decompress from the hustle and bustle without any care of what is happening outside in the real world. I need to get back into that mode of thinking again, or at least try to get a better semblance of balance between work and relaxation.
    Uncle Elvin

    ReplyDelete