Thursday, July 29, 2010

Rüdesheim, Germany - Oct 2008

Rüdesheim is a small town along the Rhine River, not too far from Wiesbaden, where I used to live in Germany. I have been there a couple of times, along the riverfront and town center, but I have never been to the viewpoint up on the hills until October 2008. I had just gotten my new Mini Cooper and drove around the area. I picked up a friend who lives nearby and ended up on this area.

Rüdesheim is in the heart of the Rheingau wine region. There are picturesque vineyards all over the area. It was October, harvest time, the vineyards were flaunting their autumn colors in full display. The viewpoint is at a park-like setting dominated by the Niederwald monument Germania, commemorating the Franco-Prussian War. The vista from this location was magnificent -- a panoramic scenery encompassing the winding river and the vibrant vineyard landscape below.





3 comments:

  1. Not trying to pick nits ... but,actually Ruedesheim is on the edge of the Rheingau (which runs from Wiesbaden to Ruedesheim) So Eltville or even Hattenheim would be in the heart of the Rheingau.

    Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All is well, Big T. And you, how goes it?

    Yeah, your picking nits. But you are right, Ruedesheim is at the edge of the Rheingau. I should have stated instead that the town was the tourist center of the area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed that you know Big T is the writer formerly known as Anon. You're quite the hacker.

    ReplyDelete