Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Stuck in Sewage Muck

When I worked in Iraq we went outside the base (the military called it "outside the wire") to check out the progress of projects once or twice a week.  The US Army provided security and took us out usually in a convoy of 4 to 5 humvees.  These trips usually went fairly smoothly.  One of the few times we had problems was when a humvee got stuck in a muddy sewage muck.  One humvee towed or pulled the other stuck in the muck, while the rest of the humvees took defensive positions to secure and protect the area until the stuck humvee was safely pulled out.

Believe it or not, on the picture below, I was seated just behind the driver.  We could not go out of the vehicle for security reasons.  I did not get any of the sewage on me, but I definitely smelled it while waiting to get towed out.

1 comment: