Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sheikh Zayed Mosque

Near my apartment is a busy highway interchange with several routes taking you into and out of Abu Dhabi. It is just right off the two main bridges in and out of the city --the city of Abu Dhabi is an island. I live in one end of the city by the bridges; the other end would be the waterfront. The distance is about 7.5 miles from one end to the other end. Around and under the huge interchange is a park-like setting and fully "lawned" grounds. During the late afternoons and early evenings, it is used extensively by locals and expats for soccer and cricket games.



I happen to visit this area one late Friday afternoon to get panoramic photos of the Sheikh Zayed Mosque. The mosque opened in 2007. The mosque is open to the public Saturday thru Thursday. My day off falls on a Friday when this place is closed to the public. My Saturdays, lately, have been spent at work. I will have to take a Saturday off from work and visit this mosque soon. I would love to visit the mosque and explore the entire grounds. From the pictures I have seen, the mosque's interior and its courtyard are magnificent.

For now, I can only show you photos from the outside.




Parts of the outer grounds are still being completed, as seen from the following two pictures.




I happen to be there just before sunset. Here are a few photos as the sun is about to set. (Click on the photo to enlarge.)




No comments:

Post a Comment