Friday, August 13, 2010

Triskaidekaphobia

Yesterday was Friday the 13th. Superstitions, linked to this particular day, are rooted in ancient bad luck associations with the number 13 and the day Friday. Triskaidekaphobia is the fear of the number 13. A lot of high rise buildings do not designate a 13th floor. One of the reasons that Friday is considered bad luck is because it is the day that Jesus was crucified.

Many people avoid working or scheduling anything on Friday the 13th for fear of something bad happening to them. As for me, 13 is my lucky number. I was born on the 13th day of the month. Friday, usually, is the day that leads us into our weekend. Fridays currently happen to be my only day off from while working here in the UAE. I look forward to Fridays.

Yesterday was my birthday, Friday the 13th. Like most Fridays, I had planned to check out sights and ventured to Dubai without any fear of something bad happening. I don't buy into this superstition one small bit.

Note: My mother had always blamed my father for providing an incorrect date of birth when he registered me at the Cuyapo City Hall. The record book has my birth date listed as 10 August. I was surprised when I arrived home late afternoon last Tuesday, 10 August, to find a small mini birthday cake in my kitchen. It was provided by the hotel staff. I guess it is one of the perks of living at this place. When I was sick last month, they sent a basket of fruits to my room. When we had a 15 minute power outage last week, the day after I found a platter of yummy dates filled with different types of nuts.

2 comments:

  1. When you were a baby, Inna would call you Trece to treasure or appreciate your birth on the 13th, I guess. Happy birthday bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday - you big poof!

    ReplyDelete