Sunday, November 29, 2009

Enjoying the Simple Things in Life

After an activity filled 4-day weekend. I woke up early this morning, fixed myself a pot of coffee, and pretty much did nothing for the day. Well actually, I did a lot of things. I finished a load of laundry; I took a walk around downtown Wiesbaden and checked out the Christmas market; cooked a late lunch; brought a book to the Starbucks and lounged around for 2+ hours; and came back to my apartment late afternoon and took a nap. Just the fact that I was able to have the time to make a pot of coffee and sit down to enjoy it was enjoyable. I don’t remember the last time I took an afternoon nap. But they were just ordinary, simple things that I have taken for granted. Things I have not done too much of lately -- taking the time and enjoying the simple things in life.

Although it crept into my mind a couple of times, I did not show up at work at all this past four days. Thursday, I took an early morning drive to Luxembourg and got back to Wiesbaden by 9PM. Friday, I drove to Köln to see the Christmas markets and walked around the city center. Saturday, I drove along the Rhine River, on the western side, from Wiesbaden to Boppard; stopping along the way for coffee and lunch. Winding down the extended weekend, today I stuck around my apartment and walked around Wiesbaden. The weather has been miserable – gray skies, and on and off drizzle. But it did not take away from my enjoyment of the weekend.

The following are photos from this weekend:

Shots from Luxembourg City






Photos from the Luxembourg American WWII Cemetery and Memorial:

Memorial Chapel ceiling

Memorial Chapel

General Patton's grave site

Luxembourg American WWII Cemetery

Köln's Christmas Market and Cathedral:

At the Köln Christmas Market

Köln's Cathedral

At the Köln Christmas Market

At the Köln Christmas Market

Köln's Cathedral

At the Köln Christmas Market

At the Köln Christmas Market

5 comments:

  1. so did you drop a duece in Luxembourg?

    ReplyDelete
  2. or perhaps a deuce?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big T, Didn't have the need or the urge. But having spent 7 hrs there, eating lunch, and having a couple of lattes should qualify me to check this off on my visited country list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well there are those of us who have standards...

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, you can no longer read the text in the photo. I suggest either a text box, or a different photo. But, I'm just one man talking!

    Think you can do New Years in Istanbul?

    ReplyDelete