Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Visit of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Two weekends ago, I went to Victoria, Canada via the Victoria Clipper Ferry.  I left Seattle early on a Friday and returned late at night the following day.  I had almost two full days of walking around downtown Victoria and checking out its sights.  I had been itching to get away for awhile, but I haven't really had the opportunity.

The Clipper Ferry dock is located in Seattle's Pier 69, which is the same building I had worked at while I was with the Port of Seattle for over four years.  Somehow, I never got around to doing this trip, even though I worked near the ferry dock and it provided a quick getaway from Seattle to a picturesque city located in another country. The last time I had been in Victoria was at least 27 years ago riding a much bigger and much slower ferry boat, the Princess Marguerite.  The trip now only takes about 2 1/2 hours.




I toured the Parliament Building -- its outside grounds and inside.  I also saw the building at night, when it was lit up.












I walked to the Fisherman's Wharf, a short walk from my hotel.  The place was awash in bright colors.







I saw great examples of Native American totem art, at Thunderbird Park, in front of the Parliament Building, Victoria Conference Center, and many other locations during my walks around the city.














I visited the BC Royal Museum with its front lobby display of John Lennon's "Yellow Submarine" Rolls Royce.







I hung out around the inner harbor area to chill, sit down to rest and enjoy the sun, and listen to local musicians.

 









I walked around the small Chinatown District.  I also enjoyed lunch and dinner in this area.







I walked all over the city center.  The city is very neat and clean.  It is quite vibrant with garden settings in many locations and colorful hanging bouquet of flowering plants everywhere.


























The boat ride back to Seattle was relaxing, unlike the choppy water encountered once out of the Puget Sound on the trip to Victoria.




All in all, I had a good time during my two day jaunt to Victoria.

No comments:

Post a Comment