Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Balloon Artist

I was a bit of a skeptic at first.  The French poodle looked more like an improperly colored and irregularly joined longanizas (Filipino sausages).  I had great difficulty picturing an orange hummingbird with unevenly sized wings.  I guess if I viewed at a certain angle, I can almost make out the silhouette of the hummingbird.  Okay, it was only her first two attempts of balloon sculpting that day.  It certainly would get better, right?


 
You bet, it got better.  A lot better.   In the end, it made for a fun idling away of the hours as we all waited for the Pacquiao vs. Mosley fight.  It is truly something to keep everyone occupied during family gatherings, especially effective in fighting the lethargy felt after eating big food servings or munching throughout the day.  It has been a running joke about the number of people that dose off during family parties.












Young and old alike enjoyed the creative handiwork of balloon animals and headgears created by Grace.  She was looking for a new hobby.  I think she has found one – the kids enjoyed the items made by Grace.  They would request an animal or a headgear to be created for them, and they got to choose balloon colors.  It also piqued great interest from a few adults, including myself. 

















At the end of the party, most of the kids brought their especially made creations by Grace home with them.  Some didn’t, including the older ones.  I found it hard to throw them away during the after party clean-up of the house.  I thought about the time and effort put forth by Grace creating them.  So I just stacked them on my fireplace mantle, and waited for them to gradually lose air and fade away, then throw them away.  I still have a few balloon sculptures left more than two weeks later.


No comments:

Post a Comment