Friday, December 3, 2010

Dateline: Central Europe

Arrived in Vienna on Saturday, 27 November, just past noon time.  After my arrival to Frankfurt early Tuesday morning, I took the train to Wiesbaden to meet with a friend that I will be traveling with around Central Europe via train.  From Wiesbaden, about 10AM that same day on Tuesday, we proceeded to Vienna on a seven hour train ride.  Spent 2+ days in Vienna including Thanksgiving day.  On Friday, we took a morning train to Bratislava, Slovakia.  The train ride was about an hour long.  On Saturday morning, we took a morning train from Bratislava to Budapest.  The train ride was about 2 1/2 hours.  We were in Budapest for 2+ days until late Monday afternoon.  We then headed back to Wiesbaden early Monday evening on an overnight train.  On Tuesday, 30 November, I had some time to visit with friends and former co-worker in Wiesbaden.  I am now in Seattle after a Wednesday morning flight from Frankfurt.

Due to the train schedule and the amount of time it takes to get there, we did not get a chance to do a side trip to Budwies, home of the original Budweiser beer, from Vienna.  It had been cold and mostly gray skies; we had also hit some light sprinkle in Vienna and a dusting of snow in Bratislava.  There were heavier patches of snow on our way to Budapest.  Most of the snow in Budapest, on our arrival, had been cleared off.  More snow fell on the second night in Budapest -- most were gone by the following day.  The heavier snow was more prevalent along the train route on the trip back to Wiesbaden from Budapest.

This was a good trip.  We were able to see a lot of sights and Christmas markets in all three cities.  More details to come, and photos will be uploaded to my flickr site shortly.  After all the traveling -- by plane, trains, and a lot of walking, and the requisite Advil tablet every 4 to 5 hours, my back held up fairly well.  My friend was understanding of my situation and most of the time I was back in my hotel room early to rest up.  I was somewhat hesitant about continuing with this trip due to my back situation.  The trip made me more comfortable about confronting these types of travels and also less anxious about my back situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment